Juniper Networks (JNPR), an industry leader in automated, scalable and secure networks, recently declared the availability of a carrier-grade cloud solution that allows the rapid implementation of mobile subscriber service virtual networks functions (VNFs) with the performance, reliability and scale that customers expect. The solution combines Affirmed Networks® Mobile Content Cloud™ virtualized evolved packet core solution (vEPC) with Juniper Networks® Contrail Networking and Netronome® Agilio® SmartNICs to significantly improve performance and efficiency contrast to software-only virtual routing solutions.
The growth in mobile data, 5G and IoT has caused mobile operators to be under pressure to facilitate the benefits of cloud services in their infrastructure, with Software Defined Networking (SDN) and Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) at the forefront of this architectural shift to the cloud. “Service providers looking to deploy cloud-based mobile subscriber solutions recognize the benefits offered by Network Functions Virtualization, counting capital and operational savings, agility and reduced time to launch new services. It is also imperative that carrier-grade performance and reliability is maintained,” said Cliff Grossner, Senior Research Director and Advisor, Cloud & Data Center Research Practice at IHS Markit. “In a recent IHS Markit report, 44% of service provider respondents indicated they would deploy NFV for improved real-time network optimization and 63% said carrier-grade performance was an important barrier that had to be overcome. Operators are signaling that integrated and highly scalable solutions that can scale with demand will get their attention.”1
Unfortunately, in pursuit of realizing the benefits associated with leveraging NFV, many organizations have been challenged by the limitations of commodity hardware running software not optimized for cloud-scale virtualized environments, resulting in limited throughput and scalability. To address these challenges, Juniper Networks, Affirmed Networks and Netronome together deliver a carrier-grade, highly scalable solution that facilitates hardware acceleration of cloud-based VNFs for mobile operators. This approach facilitates the benefits of both SDN and NFV while offering up to six times cost per unit core savings contrast to software-only virtual routing solutions. The solution also facilitates the best of both worlds by combining the flexibility and agility of a software-based solution with the performance of a hardware platform.
“Juniper is dedicated to assisting our customers build highly scalable and reliable networks that utilize automation and intelligence to deliver new services efficiently and economically. Teaming up with Affirmed and Netronome allows us to deliver solutions that facilitate mobile service offerings, without compromising performance, reliability or scalability. This declarement also further solidifies Contrail Networking as a leading SDN Controller in a carrier-grade cloud platform to empower virtualized network functions as demanding and distributed as the Affirmed Networks Mobile Content Cloud for mobile core services.”
— Paul Obsitnik, vice president of Portfolio Marketing at Juniper Networks
“We are thrilled to continue to work with Juniper Networks to assist mobile operators experience the many benefits that virtualized networks provide. By increasing the performance of virtualized applications, operators benefit from noteworthycapital and operational savings, while also gaining a level of performance that far exceeds what is possible in legacy environments.”
— Angela Whiteford, vice president of Product Administration and Marketing at Affirmed Networks
“The need to deliver high-performance and efficiency across a wide range of VM and VNF workloads in cloud data centers is fracturing the networking infrastructure into silos and vendor locks, defeating the very purpose of NFV and SDN. Combining Juniper’s Contrail Networking solution, Affirmed Networks Mobile Content Cloud and the Netronome Agilio SmartNIC platform facilitates a high performance and homogenous NFV infrastructure where VM and VNF workloads can be optimally placed and moved to deliver the needed performance and scale for next generation 4G and 5G applications at the lowest TCO.”
Another Hot News
Juniper Networks (JNPR), an industry leader in automated, scalable and secure networks, recently revealed the results of extensive global market research into business and consumer attitudes towards the readiness for an era of Digital Cohesion, where predictive, automated, network-based mega-services adapt to user behavior, enabling better decision-making and enriching personal and business lives. The declarement was made in advance of Mobile World Congress, which is taking place in Barcelona, Spain from Feb. 27 – March 2, 2017. Attendees can visit Juniper Networks at Mobile World Congress: Hall 2, Booth 2J60.
The 16-country survey* suggests business and consumer users see Digital Cohesion as an inevitable, positive societal development. Consumers anticipate it will bring certain advantages, ranging from improved community infrastructure with more responsive, effective emergency services to more efficient use of personal time, improved education and learning capabilities, lower living costs, such as greater home energy efficiency, and more informed decision-making. Business respondents say Digital Cohesion will deliver advantages, counting raised productivity, improved budget efficiency, new workforce administration models and business service innovation. With mobile devices serving as data collection points to drive mega-services, we believe telecommunication service providers will need to re-examine the way they architect their networks in order to support this era.
Security Concerns: Users to Make Careful Choice of Trusted Provider Brands
The survey also highlights that consumer and business respondents have concerns about security and compliance around mega-services. It also indicates these concerns will be significantly more influential than design and aesthetic preferences on user behavior and brand choices. These findings suggest that trust is non-negotiable for users and a thoughtful, proactive approach to security provisioning within these mega-services is paramount.
Consumer Response Data
Living Smarter & Greener
- Sixty percent of consumer respondents expect their surroundings to become ‘smarter’ over the next five years, as services and apps become more integrated and automated.
- Fifty-eight percent cite ‘time saving’ as a key benefit of smarter services in their daily lives; 43 percent believe smart services will deliver more useful information leading to better decision making; 27 percent believe it will reduce the cost of living.
- In a world where Digital Cohesion leads to mega-services, 61 percent of consumers surveyed expect to see improved energy consumption as a result of these services, while 51 percent expect to see better support/response from emergency services.
- Seventy-five percent of consumer respondents say they rely on mobile connections to live safer, smarter and more efficient lives.
- Fifty-three percent of consumer respondents specify security as the most important factor when selecting a new smart device.
- Seventy-seven percent of consumer respondents specify trust as “important” for an integrated, connected service-related device. Seventy-six percent also say brand is an important factor when choosing a ‘smart’ service provider.
- By comparison, only 20 percent of consumer respondents consider design as a very important factor in smart services.
Business Response Data
Driving Business Advantage
- Ninety percent of business respondents expect business services innovation to result from Digital Cohesion; 91 percent also expect it to facilitate flexible new workforce administration capabilities.
- When considering the biggest commercial benefits resulting from Digital Cohesion, 60 percent of business respondents cite raised automation and control capabilities and 58 percent cite raised productivity.
- Fifty-one percent of business respondents also expect Digital Cohesion to deliver improved customer experience within their organizations.
Trust is Critical
- Sixty-six percent of business respondents see security/compliance as the biggest risk factor in Digital Cohesion, yet only 25 percent say they are “completely ready” to trust the security in the underlying networks and devices.
- When thinking about dealing with the consequences of more smart devices being introduced into an organization’s network infrastructure, 85 percent of business respondents expect to manage the influx pragmatically, rather than restricting devices as a way to counteract security concerns.
“Advances in networking are driving the push towards Digital Cohesion. At Juniper Networks, we envision self-driving networks that will assist facilitate adaptive ‘mega-services’ — transforming enterprise and consumer experiences and connecting them to people, services and information.”
– Rami Rahim, chief executive officer, Juniper Networks
*About the Global Research
Juniper Networks commissioned Loudhouse Research to survey 4,800 + consumers and senior IT decision makers (ITDMs) in Australia/New Zealand, China, France, Germany, India, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, the Netherlands, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, United Arab Emirates, the United States of America and the United Kingdom. The survey was conducted in January 2017 and comprises 100+ ITDMs and 200+ consumer respondents per country. Age groups surveyed range from 18 to 65+. ITDMs surveyed represent organizations between 251-1000 employees (53 percent) and 1000+ employees (47 percent). Industry verticals included range from public sector, education and health to retail, manufacturing and IT.